About Machaton Private Camp
Opened in August 2016, Machaton Private Camp is an intimate and exclusive camp offering a secluded and private safari experience. Next to owning a private safari lodge, there is no more private way to enjoy a safari in the Timbavati.
The camp consists of a main building which features a lounge, kitchen and covered verandah, as well as 3 individual luxury suites. Each suite offers a large en-suite bedroom, a well-appointed bathroom with an outdoor shower, a dayroom with a sumptuous daybed and a large terrace, allowing guests to either enjoy the main areas together or retreat in private to the suite.
Privacy is guaranteed thanks to the careful placement of the suites and privacy walls, ensuring a tranquil and intimate stay.
Safaris are conducted in Machaton Private Camp’s private 4x4 vehicle. Interpretive bush walks can be organised by prior arrangement and subject to availability. Machaton Private Camp may be booked either on a sole-use basis or per suite basis and includes a field guide & tracker, butler, chef, housekeeper and groundsman.
Activities at Machaton Private Camp
The lodge offers Big 5 game drives in the early morning and late afternoon/evening, taking advantage of the time of day that the animals are naturally most active. Nocturnal creatures - including the big cats - are regular sightings after dark. Currently over 40 mammal species are listed as resident in the Timbavati, including the Big 5 - Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant, as well as endangered species including Wild Dogs and Cheetah. There is an abundance of birdlife, with a total of 360 species of bird listed.
Your day includes:
- Early morning tea/coffee, a selection of homemade biscuits and rusks served at guests’ option in the suite or on the main patio.
- Game drive (approximately 3+ hours), including a coffee/tea stop in the bush
- Mid-morning breakfast – Continental and full hot breakfast served at guests’ option on the private patio of the suite or on the main patio.
- Optional interpretative bush walk (1 -1 1/2 hours, subject to availability)
- Leisure time – enjoy the plunge pool overlooking the dry river bed. Alternatively, relax in the lounge/bar area, avail of the free Wi-Fi on offer, or simply allow your mind to wander while sipping a refreshing cocktail, and watching the wildlife at the Nhlaralumi River.
- Spa treatments (at an additional charge) can be enjoyed on the privacy of your patio or, for couple treatments, at the nearby Simbavati River Lodge’s Spa
- Lunch – a la carte or chef’s table d'hôte served at guests’ option on the private patio of the suite or on the main patio.
- Afternoon/evening game drive (approximately 3+ hours), which includes a bushveld Sundowner break.
- Dinner of African-inspired cuisine is hosted in the dining area, or – weather permitting –
around the fire in the open-air boma or can be enjoyed privately on the patio of the suite.
Special dietary requirements: We require prior notification in order to accommodate any special dietary requirements you may have. Please ensure that you notify our reservations office upon booking.