About Machaton Camp
Opened in August 2016, Machaton Camp is an intimate and exclusive camp offering a secluded and private safari experience. Next, to owning a private safari lodge, there is no more private way to enjoy a safari in the Timbavati.
The camp consists of a main building which features a lounge, kitchen and covered verandah, as well as 3 individual luxury suites. Each suite offers a large en-suite bedroom, a well-appointed bathroom with an outdoor shower, a dayroom with a sumptuous daybed and a large terrace with a newly fitted plunge pool, allowing you to retreat and refresh in secluded luxury.
Privacy is guaranteed thanks to the careful placement of the suites and privacy walls, ensuring a tranquil and intimate stay.
Safaris are conducted in Machaton Camp’s private 4x4 vehicle.
Machaton Camp may be booked either on a sole-use basis or per suite basis and includes a field guide & tracker, butler, chef, housekeeper and groundsman.
Activities at Machaton Camp
The lodge offers Big 5 game drives in the early morning and late afternoon/evening, taking advantage of the time of day that the animals are naturally most active. Nocturnal creatures - including the big cats - are regular sightings after dark. Currently over 40 mammal species are listed as resident in the Timbavati, including the Big 5 - Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant, as well as endangered species including Wild Dogs and Cheetah. There is an abundance of birdlife, with a total of 360 species of bird listed.
Your day includes:
- Early morning tea/coffee, a selection of homemade biscuits and rusks served at guests’ option in the suite or on the main patio.
- Game drive (approximately 3+ hours), including a coffee/tea stop in the bush
- Mid-morning breakfast – Continental and full hot breakfast served at guests’ option on the private patio of the suite or on the main patio.
- Leisure time – enjoy the plunge pool overlooking the dry river bed. Alternatively, relax in the lounge/bar area, avail of the free Wi-Fi on offer, or simply allow your mind to wander while sipping a refreshing cocktail, and watching the wildlife at the Nhlaralumi River.
- Spa treatments (at an additional charge) can be enjoyed on the privacy of your patio or, for couple treatments, at the nearby Simbavati River Lodge’s Spa
- Lunch – a la carte or chef’s table d'hôte served at guests’ option on the private patio of the suite or on the main patio.
- Afternoon/evening game drive (approximately 3+ hours), which includes a bushveld Sundowner break.
- Dinner of African-inspired cuisine is hosted in the dining area, or – weather permitting –
around the fire in the open-air boma or can be enjoyed privately on the patio of the suite.
Special dietary requirements: We require prior notification in order to accommodate any special dietary requirements you may have. Please ensure that you notify our reservations office upon booking.