About Simbavati River Lodge
Situated in the heart of the world-renowned Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park, this intimate, family-friendly camp is built on the banks of the Nhlaralumi River – a beautiful watercourse in the summer months when rain is plentiful, and a dry riverbed in the drier winter months.
Shaded by age old Jackalberry and Leadwood trees, Simbavati River Lodge is warm and welcoming, with a generous contemporary design and accommodation for guests in luxury tented rooms or thatched chalets.
Simbavati takes its name from the local Shangaan language, translated as “the place where the lions come down from the stars”. The focus of the lodge is on the excellent big-5 game viewing, breathtaking views, friendly and knowledgeable staff in an environment where guests are made to feel comfortable and relaxed from the moment they arrive.
Simbavati River Lodge is situated in the northern sector of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, and surrounded by 12 000 hectares of wildlife and rich wilderness in which you can experience an authentic and affordable African safari.
The design of this 4-star lodge is contemporary, warm and welcoming. Guest common areas offer a generously proportioned lounge, bar, boma and extensive decks with breathtaking views overlooking the Nhlaralumi river where regular wildlife sightings take place and guests can unwind.
Accommodation consists of eight luxury tents and three chalets; all are privately situated, comfortably furnished and with en-suite facilities.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Between 0 – 3 years: no charge and includes all meals.
- Between 4 – 11 years: 50% of per person sharing rate when sharing with parents in Family Chalets.
- 12 years & older sharing with parents in Family Chalets: 3rd/4th person rate applicable.
- Child sharing with one parent in a Luxury Safari Tent: per person sharing rate applicable.
- Children 6 years & over are permited on Game Drives. Families with younger children may arrange a private vehicle prior to arrival.
Activities at Simbavati River Lodge
The lodge offers Big 5 game drives in the early morning and late afternoon/evening to ensure game viewing when the animals are most active. Nocturnal animals, including the big cats are regular sightings at night.
Currently there are over 40 mammal species in the Timbavati including the Big 5 of lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant as well as 360 species of bird life.
- Early morning tea/coffee overlooking the river on the deck
- Game drive (approx 3+ hours) including a coffee/tea stop in the bush
- Mid morning breakfast/brunch on the dining deck
- Time at leisure (use of the swimming pool, books and board games on offer, relax in the lounge area and use the free Wi-Fi, cocktails on the deck or take a look around our well stocked curio shop)
- Afternoon high tea (combination of high tea & Lunch) on the dining deck
- Afternoon/evening game drive (approx 3+ hours). With a sundowners stop in the bush
- Dinner on the deck or sometimes around the fire in the open air boma (weather permitting)
Dining at Simbavati River Lodge
Enjoy an early morning cup of coffee/tea with rusks before embarking on the game drive. After the morning game drive, breakfast is served outside on the wooden deck.
A light lunch is served just before the afternoon game drive.
Dinner is a festive event which is alternatively served around the campfire in the open-air boma or in the thatched dining area.
Dinner consists of an African and Western cuisine with exciting tastes for the more adventurous as well as various conventional options.
The bar caters for alcoholic beverages and also includes a wide selection of fine South African wines.
Special dietary requirements will be catered for subject to prior notification (as the nearest shops are over one hours’ drive away).
Relaxing at Simbavati River Lodge
Simbavati River Lodge is an uncomplicated and down to earth safari experience and guests are encouraged to relax and feel at home. The lounge area is the perfect place to relax on a comfortable couch with a book or doze off on an afternoon siesta.
During the mid-day heat, recline in a sun lounger, take a dip in our swimming pool or treat yourself at our spa.
Children are catered for with an activity plan to increase their wildlife knowledge and there is a large selection of interesting books which are at their disposal.
The lodge has a curio shop in which to buy any necessities forgotten at home, or an African memento to remind you of your visit to Simbavati River Lodge.